top of page
Green Forest

Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP)

Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP)

Through the COVID-19 Economic Relief Bill of 2020, and extended through the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) was created to assist renters with rental and utility assistance.


Program Guidelines

  • Payment for rental and utility arrears can go back as far as March 2020.

  • Payment will only be made on rental arrears. One month of Prospective Rent will NO LONGER BE AVAILABLE for applicants who have applied as of September 22, 2023

  • Payment will only be made on utility arrears, for applicants with a shut-off notice

  • ERAP will no longer aid with future utility payments

  • Applicants may be eligible for up to 18 months of rental and utility assistance (combined)

  • Total months of assistance are inclusive of all ERAP assistance received since the program opened in March 2021

  • There is no monthly cap on rental assistance

  • There is a cap on utility assistance of $5,000 per household

  • Internet assistance will no longer be provided

  • Garbage assistance will no longer be provided


Eligibility Criteria

  • ERAP is for renters only. 

  • Households must have a gross annual or monthly income that does not exceed 80% of Centre County’s Area Median Income (AMI) - Click here for Pike County Income Limits

  • Households must demonstrate that they have been directly or indirectly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic or that emergency financial assistance is needed during the COVID-19 pandemic.

  • Households must demonstrate that they are at risk of homelessness or housing instability.

  • To be considered for assistance towards rental arrears, renters must present an eviction notice and be 30-days delinquent on rent OR renters must present a court filing, with docket number, for an upcoming eviction hearing if they are less than 30-days delinquent on rent.

  • To be considered for assistance toward utilities, renters must present a utility termination or utility arrears (invoice) for fuels such as heating oil, coal, and wood that have already been delivered to the home.

Supporting Documents Required

  • Form of Identification: Driver’s license, government issued ID, or other verification of identity.

    • For Non-citizen status: unexpired USCIS card or documents 

  • Annual or monthly (last 30 days) household income documentation for all household members over age 18

    • This includes income from employment, unemployment compensation, and other income sources)

  • Copy of current lease

  • Eviction notice (at least 30 days delinquent with rental payments) or a court filing, with docket number, for an upcoming eviction 

  • Utility termination 

For more information, please contact us by phone or email. 



If you disagree with the grant decision made by the staff person, you may submit a written request for an appeal to: ERAP Appeal, c/o Human Services, 506 Broad St. Milford PA 18337



bottom of page